Happy Monday Fabbies! Can you believe that it is already September?! Seriously though?! 2017 is flying by at warp speed, and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out where the time went. I did want to check in though, and give an update on #DetoxMondays, which I started back in March. (To see my original post on why you should detox and what #DetoxMondays is all about, click HERE.) In the last 6 months, I have continued to detox every Monday, with the exception of one day back in July when I was traveling from Dallas to Phoenix on a Monday, so I detoxed that next day (Tuesday) instead. My detoxes have been pretty consistent, where for 24 hours, I eat only fresh fruit and/or raw veggies, drink smoothies, and drink lots of water.
As I have been detoxing from week to week, I have of course been documenting what I’m drinking and eating every Monday on both my Snapchat and Instastory. (Instagram’s version of Snapchat):
Over the course of these 6 months, I have learned so much about food, how it affects our bodies (positively and negatively), and so much more. Here are some things that I have learned in doing #DetoxMondays every week:
- Doing these detoxes gives me a feeling of accomplishment. After I complete a full day of clean eating, ignoring the smells of yummy desserts that I may make for the kids, or resisting the urge to sneak in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I feel so damn proud of myself for having the discipline to give my body only what it needs, which is truly and honestly only fruits and vegetables.
- I have learned discipline. And not just disciplined when it comes to sticking with these detoxes every week, but being disciplined in that aspect has led me to be disciplined in other areas of my life as well. Even though I love to run, in the past I would make every excuse on why I did not need to run on the days I did not feel like it. I would say to myself: “It’s too hot.” “I have so much to do today.” “I’m so tired..” These were just excuses, but the reality was, I was just being lazy! Lol! But since doing #DetoxMondays, I have held myself more accountable for my runs, especially on the days that I did not particularly feel like it. It is absolutely apart of my routine now to run every other day. No matter what, that’s just what I do. And I actually look forward to my run days sometimes. Imagine that! Being disciplined with running not only makes me feel good afterwards, but again, I have a big feeling of accomplishment doing this as well. Accomplishing things for you and only you, gives you the biggest motivation to do your best in all aspects in your life.
3. It has made me more conscious of the things that I grocery shop for, and also more health-conscious of the meals that I cook. After completing a full day of eating clean due to the detox, I always want to continue on eating that way as often as possible for the rest of the week. So because of that, I have now made smoothies a part of my everyday diet. And I have had fun mixing fruit and concocting smoothie recipes!
4. Detoxing every week has also encouraged me to search for more information on the fruits and vegetables and all of their glorious benefits, and also to find recipes, health information, and just tips on being healthy in general. Here are a few of my favorite pages to follow on Instagram regarding all of those:
5. Creating new recipes and finding new recipes online have become one of my favorite things to do lately. I have found new ways to eat avocados, I have learned about fruit that I have never even heard of before (and where to get them. Thank you Mexican Markets located throughout Phoenix!), and have cooked more healthy food that I ever have in my life. I know I mentioned in a previous post that I cook now more than ever, but it’s true! I love a good healthy hearty meal and snack!
6. Doing #DetoxMondays has also made me want to challenge myself even more with detoxing. After successfully completing the detoxes after a couple of months, I then began pushing the detoxes to two days every now and then, so I would detox Monday AND Tuesday. I even have done a few THREE-day detoxes as well, just to really challenge myself to eat only raw fruits and veggies for three days straight. (Now, coming off those 3-day detoxes is what I still have to work on. That Thursday I would eat everything in sight just because I could! Ha!) I’ve gotten better though, and for the most part I still make healthy decisions when it comes to meals and snacks, and especially when it comes to my late night munchies!
To make a long story long, detoxing has done wonders for my health and overall lifestyle. My skin stays consistently clear, I have tons of energy, I have a deep desire to want to be better in all aspects of my life, I can’t remember the last time I have had a cold, runny nose, or cough, and I have developed a sort of discipline that I have not had in a longggg time. And since I started Detox Mondays, I feel as though as I should continue doing it, because it really sets the tone for me for the week. I would be lying if I said that there are not some Mondays where I want some rotel dip, vegan lasagna, and brownies, but I always remind myself that that food will be there tomorrow, and my body deserves at least one day of clean eating. Life goals are to eat clean like that everyday, but until then, I am going to detox one day (or more) weekly, and keep looking for ways that I can improve my health. If we aren’t feeling our very best then what are we even doing?!
Have a fabulous week Fabbies!